Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Arthritis Friendly Cookbooks

I got into a bit of a cooking with arthritis rut about a month ago. My arthritis was flaring, I was generally a bit fed up and totally out of ideas in the kitchen. I got lots of lovely arthritis cookbook recommendations via twitter and facebook which really got me inspired again, so I thought I'd return the favour and share with you my most trusty, healthy, arthritis cookbooks. These are the favourites that I always find myself going back to:

 A truly brilliant and inspiring cookbook that just happens to be vegetarian. Ottolenghi's book is full of Asian and Middle Eastern inspired recipes that pack a huge flavour punch and will shake you out of any cooking rut. Few books will encourage you to raid you arthritis-friendly spice cupboard as thoroughly as this. A few of them require a long list of ingredients or lots of chopping but I have found it pretty easy to adapt the recipes to my cooking with arthritis needs. The Mee Goreng is probably my favourite arthritis friendly dish ever.

 In some ways this is a similar concept but with a completely different style of recipe. Hugh Fearnley-Whittiningstall has come up with all sorts of quick and healthy vegetable based dishes that almost anyone will enjoy. I find this book great for ideas when I'm having an arthritis flare and want something very quick and easy to cook. The Butternut Nutbutter soup wins my award for recipe I wish I had thought of.

 I was recommended this via twitter by my lovely Washington based friend @SophieGG. For anyone with arthritis who wants some good, sound advice on which foods are healthy and why then this is an excellent cookbook that avoids sounding faddy or cranky.
This book is basically clinical nutrition in practice for dummies. If you want accessible information on the latest evidence on chronic conditions like arthritis and diet then this is the book for you.
 Does what it says on the cover - it really is good food fast. Not all of it is particularly arthritis-friendly but the Rib-Sticking Stir-fry is a good choice for a filling, healthy meal in a hurry.

If you have any favourite books or sites, please share them in the comments below.

PS. The arthritis and dietary supplement survey is still running - please do take part if you have time, the results will be shared and could help offer better information to people with arthritis about diet and nutrition supplements