Monday, April 23, 2012

Cooking with Arthritis Gadgets: Eddingtons Alligator Chopper

It's gadget review time again and today it's the turn of the Eddingtons 'Alligator Chopper'. Is it as scary as it sounds? Or will it end the horrors of chopping with Arthur?


What is it supposed to do?
Eddingtons Alligator  ChopperIt's meant to be a fast and safe way to chop onions and other vegetables into small dice. You place the food to be chopped on the plate and then simply bring the 'jaws' down over it - all the chopped bits fall into the plastic holder.


Does it work?
The 'Alligator' works quite well to slice half a small, peeled onion or small pieces of soft vegetables, like courgettes. However, I struggled to get it to work on larger onions, ginger, carrots or peppers. It is easy to clean as you can just pop it in the dishwasher. The little plastic container is a little tricky to clip in and out but gets easier with practice.


Does it make cooking with arthritis easier?
I think it probably depends on how your hands and wrists are affected. For me, it's a bit tricky to push the slicer down sometimes and I find that because I have to chop and peel things before I can put them in the slice it doesn't make life much easier. On the other hand, if your wrists are ok and grip is your main issue, I think this would be really useful for chopping onions. 


Overall verdict?
B- Not for me but might help onion fans with poor grip.


If you want an Alligator of your own, you can buy one here.